Saturday, March 20, 2010

Champions League Quarter Finals


My current tally for the knockout rounds is 5 right and 3 wrong. Hopefully I can improve on that for the Quarter Finals. I can’t imagine it will be all that hard, given the draw, but the wonderful thing about soccer is that anything can happen.

Inter vs CSKA Moscow. Prediction: Inter. Everything I said about Mourinho being the best coach in the world is still true. Add that to an excellent team that just dominated Chelsea in the last round, and you see why Inter will be gliding through to the semi-finals. Don’t get me wrong, I dislike Inter with all the intensity of a good Juve fan, but they’re not going to be stopped by this overachieving Russian side.

Barcelona vs Arsenal. Prediction: Barcelona.
I can’t wait to watch this rematch of the 2006 Champions’ League final. Unfortunately for Arsenal, however, the results will most likely be exactly the same. Sure, Jens Lehman isn’t going to get a red card for being a psychopath, leaving his team a man down for the majority of the game. And sure, Thierry Henry is probably not going to score against his former teammates. Still, Barca is too much for Wenger’s boys to handle. It will be a great match, but Arsenal will be sent packing.

Bayern Munich vs Manchester United. Prediction: Man U. Just like the Arsenal-Barca match, this one will be exciting. However, only one team has Wayne Rooney. United may struggle to win in Bavaria, but I have no doubt that they will cruise to victory at Old Trafford. Sorry Bayern, your time is up.

Lyon vs Bordeaux. Prediction: Bordeaux. AT first I was angry when I saw this pairing. Two teams from the same country meeting before the semi-finals seems wrong to me. Then I realized that this means a French team is guaranteed to make it to the last four, something that has not happened for many years, and I was relieved. While these two teams have proven themselves in France, neither has a great record on the European stage. I am going to choose Bordeaux for two reasons. First, they knocked Juventus out of the group stage. If the team that beat us wins the Cup, then I won’t feel too bad. Second, Bordeaux will have a fully recovered French Player of the Year (Yoann Gourcuff) by the time this match begins, and I think that will tip the balance between these two domestic rivals.

Alright, let’s hope I do better than 50% this time. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment