Thursday, January 3, 2013

Champions' League 2013, Round of 16



As usual, I'd like to post my predictions for the Champions' League somewhere public. This keeps me honest if I'm wrong, and allows me to gloat if I'm right. The round of 16 draw has been made, and it has set up some really interesting matches. Here's what I think about them.

Real Madrid vs Manchester United: This really could be the biggest and most exciting match-up this round. Not only are these two of the best teams in the world, but there are also so many interesting story lines to follow; how will Ronaldo play against his former team?; Is Mourinho going to replace Sir Alex after his eventual retirement?; What happens to Mourinho's job if he fails to beat United? Leaving the speculation aside, I think that this will turn out to be another classic tactical battle between Fergie and The Special One. While RVP seems to be the man in form at the moment, I think that United run the risk of being too dependent on him to rack up the goals. If Jose can find a way to neutralize him, and I bet he will, United may not have enough depth in the front line to make a difference. I'm going to call this one for Madrid. Prediction: Real Madrid

AC Milan vs Barcelona: Milan-Barca games are always great to watch, and I don't think this one will disappoint. The only difference between this year and previous matches is that Milan won't be able to compete. Their form in Serie A is poor, their players are all either too old or too young, and they can't seem to find their trademark balance of youth and experience this season. Barca, on the other hand, boasts Lionel Messi in the middle of the best season of his life. Not only is he the best active player in the world, he's quite close to becoming the best player of all time. Nobody can seem to mark him this season, and I think that he'll be too much for the Milan defense. This one's going to Barca. Prediction: Barcelona

Shaktar Donetsk vs Borussia Dortmund: This is going to be an incredible match-up of two teams at the top of their game. Shaktar is Eastern Europe's best chance at European success, and I was totally predicting them to upset some of the bigger teams. Unfortunately, Dortmund is coming off of one of the best seasons in German history, and I can't really see Shaktar standing in their way. Sorry Ukraine, but you're not getting any further. Prediction: Borussia Dortmund

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich: This is another easy one. Arsenal has been struggling of late, and I really can't see them being able to compete for at least another few years. Bayern, on the other hand, are looking to erase the memory of their penalty-shootout loss in the finals last season, and beating the snot out of another London team may just be the way to do it. Prediction: Bayern Munich

Valencia vs Paris Saint-Germain: I'm pretty surprised Valencia managed to make it this far after their incredible meltdown a few seasons ago. I'm also happily surprised that PSG is back in the running, after so many years of Lyon being the only French team to really compete in Europe. Valencia still has a ways to go, however, and PSG can count on a solid squad that plays incredibly well together. Also, they have Ibra. That man must be magic. Prediction: PSG

Galatasaray vs Schalke: It's great to see a Turkish team get out of the group stage, and there's no denying that Galatasaray has being playing great football as of late. But...the German teams are just too strong this year. The Bundesliga is quickly becoming Europe's best league, and Schalke shouldn't have too much trouble here. Prediction: Schalke

Malaga vs Porto: I have no idea how to call this one. Malaga were a bit of a surprise, and Porto does have a real habit of dropping the ball at this stage in the tournament. I think I'm just going to go with my heart and say that the Portuguese will beat the Spanish. That sounds good. Prediction: Porto

Celtic vs Juventus: Right off the bat I'm going to declare my bias. I'm a Juve fan, and always will be. No matter what our form is like, I'm going to call it for us. Luckily, we're in great form this year. Sure, we've lost two games, which is a disappointment after going all of last season undefeated, but we've still got way too much for Celtic. In fact, we're going to win it all this year. Sorry Celtic. Prediction: Juventus (obviously)

Ok, so I think the next round will look very German and Spanish, with a hint of Italian and French. Let's hope I'm right. Forza Juventus per sempre!

No comments:

Post a Comment